Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Ohh Martha...

"Great dancers are not great because of their technique, they are great because of their passion." -Martha Graham

I came across this quote as I was studying and I realized how true it is. I've always loved this quote, but I sometimes feel that I forget about it when I'm choreographing because, of course technical dancing will always be beautiful. But when you place a very technical piece next to one where you can feel the dancers' passion and choreographer's passion, I don't think that there is any comparison.

I know I haven't given away what my piece is about yet. And don't get too excited because I'm still going to keep you in suspense. But this quote is the essence of my dance. It doesn't matter how much technical ability you have as a dancer. If you don't love what you do and appreciate every moment that you are moving then the passion isn't there. And the passion is what matters most.

No comments:

Post a Comment