Monday, November 14, 2011

11 months, 6 weeks, 10 days and 5 minutes

O.K. so I think I've left you all in suspense for long enough now. Here goes my explanation of my piece...

I decided this summer that I wanted to choreograph a piece in memory of my best friend's brother, Marc, who passed away about six years ago. His life may have been short, but he lived every moment to his fullest. I wanted to create a piece that was all about embracing life, every moment and movement. I learned from Marc to not take anything for granted, even the smallest things in life and it is that lesson that motivates my dancing.

As I settled on this "theme," certain events happened at the end of the summer and made the piece evolve into something much bigger than I ever thought it would be. Between the last week in July and the first week in September, three members of my family passed away. Their deaths made me realize even more how precious life is and how short it can be. I knew it would be right to dedicate my piece to their memory as well.

It has been an emotional process with many ups and downs. There were times when I wanted to give up, but I felt I owed it to these four men's memories to keep going even when it seemed like my piece wouldn't progress. I had trouble creating movement that I felt was good enough for them, good enough to be dedicated to them. But I had to remember that simply dancing and moving was good enough. Like I said, these men taught me to not take anything for granted and having the ability to dance is one thing I will never take for granted. Every day of my life, every time I dance, it won't just be for me, but it will be for these men as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment