Wednesday, November 16, 2011

It should be like butter in the sun!

So in all of the excitement of my piece not getting cut, I somehow forgot to profess my love for Gregory King on here! How silly of me. Not only was he in Broadway's The Lion King (insert excited shriek!!), but he was one of the most beautiful dancers and amazing teachers I have ever met.

Gregory taught a Horton-style modern class last Thursday right after the fourth showing. So, not only was I on a high after learning I was officially in ORIGINS, but now I was going to experience a modern class with a true artist. I have never felt so at peace and been in such awe during a dance class. His style of teaching through sounds and the way he expressed body movement was unbelievable. The music he used was great, but in all honesty I could have just danced to the sounds he created himself. Unreal.

I'll admit, it was a little nerve-wracking at first. After all, he didn't know us or our style of learning and we didn't know him or his style of learning. And who knew if we would ever meet again after that one class? (God, I hope so!) But Gregory was at ease from the start, cracking jokes and breaking right into his style of teaching. He was very hands-on, which I always find is a quality in the best teachers. Gregory made every dancer in the room feel important; he didn't expect perfection, but he wanted to make us better dancers. I think I speak for all of the dancers when I say that we never wanted that class to end. Gregory is amazing, beautiful, unbelievable, sensational (O.K. I think you get my point).


Here's a link to a video of some of our work with Gregory.
Gregory King's class
And here's some pictures from class. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment