Sunday, October 23, 2011

What I Remember Most..

What I remember most is how each of the dancers used breathe in her movements just as Michael had done in his.

This past Friday I went to see the residency performance I posted about on Friday. It was a combination of improvisations by members of DTG and some excerpts from pieces that Michael is working on.  The dancers began with a "hustle-like" phrase, which involved breathe and even some spoken word.

Michael then moved onto some of his own work, again including the spoken-word.  After he performed, the DTG dancers took to the stage to do improv followed by a section where they went to the audience to ask for different tasks they'd like to see performed.  My friends and I told the girl who came over to us we wanted to see her make pancakes, chocolate chip to be specific.  When they started dancing again, we saw our pancakes made! I was very impressed that we could give her a task and within minutes she thought of a way to make a dance out of it.  During their different dance phrases, each dancer walked over to the microphones and told us what they remembered most about Michael's performance. Again, this was completely improved since they were watching his performance for the first time, just as we were.

The residency was such a great performance.  I wish I could have participated, but with night class I wasn't able to attend all of the rehearsals. Bummer. I hope some of you were able to see the performance as well! What do you remember most?

No comments:

Post a Comment